FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   I Heart Paws - Pet Forums > The Animal House > Ask Our Vet

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Old 02-21-2010, 01:08 AM
Administrator
Paws Goddess

Default Vaginal Odor

I know this may sound weird, as I personally never experienced anything like this from a female dog in the past. My Parson's Russell Terrier, Dallas is a year and a half old and spayed for about a year already. Every now and I then I would smell a slightly foul odor coming from her, but I never placed it as anything significant as it only happened about three times in the past two months.

The other night my husband swore she sat next to him on the couch and "smelt like foul vagina". So I immediately thought he was being funny, and laughed him off. Tonight my other dog kept running to her and smelling her vagina, and then I smelt the smell my husband told me about. It matched the occasional whiff I had picked up in the past. She is constantly laying on me or near me, so it's not a consistent smell or I would have caught it before. However, there is certainly a strong odor sporadically.

Her vagina does not appear swollen, and she is not bothered or licking the area. Though my research consistently says that there is no reason for a spayed healthy dog to have an odor coming from her vagina. Is this true?

I know it can be a UTI, but generally they would be bothered by this. She has not acted strange or interested in the area at all. I have also read it can be a sign of cancer in the bladder, vaginitis (although her vagina does not appear swollen) and fungal infections.

My plan is to call my vet in the morning and make an appointment, but I was hoping to hear your opinion as well.

Thank you!

He will be yours, faithful and true, till the last beat of his heart....you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
First they came for the Pit Bulls and I did not speak out, because I did not have a Pit Bull.

Then they came for the German Shepherds and I did not speak out, because I did not have a German Shepherd.

Then they came for the Golden Retriever and I did not speak out, because I did not have a Golden Retriever.

Then they came for the Collie... and there was no one left to speak out for my Collies.
"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look and do nothing" ~ Albert Einstein

I Heart Paws - Pet Community & Pet Forums

Please see our Forum Rules & Guidelines along with our Ask Our Vet Rules
Old 02-21-2010, 12:44 PM
Offical IHP Veterinarian
Paws Pack Member

She could have vaginitis and has a bacterial or yeast infection. Vaginitis technically does mean inflammation of the vagina, but it isn't an inflammation you would see with the naked eye. If you looked at her vaginal cells under the microscope you would see more white blood cells and inflammatory cells. I wouldn't expect cancer given her age and signs.

Your vet will probably also want to check her anal glands to make sure that isn't the cause of the intermittent foul odor.
866-4Pet-Health (866-473-8432)
For Better Pet Health
Old 02-21-2010, 12:56 PM
Administrator
Paws Goddess

Thank you Dr. Melissa!! Apparently because she gets very excited my vet thinks she is squeezing her anal glands, and that is the reason for the occasional odor. Otherwise everything else appears fine. I have noticed it happens at times we are playing with her. I just never experienced that with any dog in the past, lol.

He will be yours, faithful and true, till the last beat of his heart....you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
First they came for the Pit Bulls and I did not speak out, because I did not have a Pit Bull.

Then they came for the German Shepherds and I did not speak out, because I did not have a German Shepherd.

Then they came for the Golden Retriever and I did not speak out, because I did not have a Golden Retriever.

Then they came for the Collie... and there was no one left to speak out for my Collies.
"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look and do nothing" ~ Albert Einstein

Old 02-21-2010, 06:32 PM
Help Stop Puppy Mills!
Paws Pack Leader

LOL, it's your lucky isn't it!
Old 02-21-2010, 07:56 PM
Administrator
Paws Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldenblaze View Post
LOL, it's your lucky isn't it!
LOL, lucky day you mean? Dallas has been an interesting adoption. Between housebreaking trouble, separation anxiety, destructive behaviors, submissive behaviors, dominant behaviors, and resource aggression she has been quite the challenge. We finally beat all of it and now she is stinky. LOL! She is the sweetest little girl in the world though, it has been so rewarding because of the amazing dog she has become, and we would do it all over again Plus, her and Maximus LOVE each other!

Old 05-12-2010, 02:07 AM

She could have vaginitis and has a bacterial or yeast infection. Vaginitis technically does mean inflammation of the vagina, but it isn't an inflammation you would see with the naked eye. If you looked at her vaginal cells under the microscope you would see more white blood cells and inflammatory cells. I wouldn't expect cancer given her age and signs.
Old 05-12-2010, 06:49 PM
Administrator
Paws Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonsmith092 View Post
Thank you very much Jason! It actually turns out that it was her anal glands. Because she is a very high energy dog my vet thinks her nervousness causes her to squeeze her backside during stimulation and it releases an odor from the glands. Weird right?