FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   I Heart Paws - Pet Forums > The Animal House > Ask Our Vet

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Old 04-09-2008, 12:12 AM
Blackie
The Cat's Meow

Default 17 year old dog chronic diarrhea

Hi,

I'm struggling with this soo much, I just don't know what to think.

my dog Casey is 17, she has Diarrhea everytime she gets up. She will not always have much come out, in fact sometimes it looks like water and actually drips from her... she can spend about 5 minutes walking around in a squat as she tries to "Go".

She has had numerous accidents in the house when we have to leave her alone..tracked all through the house...our house is pretty open and I don't have a spare room or area to close off.

I tried Pumkin, but that did not really firm up the stools, the Vet has not really provided me with a solution and is recommending that we put her down.

We have booked a date for this Thursday (April 10), my wife and I are at odds with this she feels it is cruel to let her go on like this. It is hard to keep cleaning up after her, especially at night. I tried keeping her in our room, but even though I wake up if I hear her, sometimes it is too late....she doesn't stay in one area but keeps moving and dropping all over and walking in it.....

aghhh I just don't know, I see there are medicines, holistic remedies, and I even though about Diapers...but I don't know...I know it's partly me being selfish for keeping her around, I know she is not comfortable.

To help you visualize...I can walk her around the block (15 minutes ), she does a lot of sniffing so it is not steady, she eats,drinks and will still wag her tail...she is weak but can still come up and down the stairs....her eyes are good and will spot anything that moves ( even at sides)....but....she will lapse into a lethargic state, wander, get stuck in corners, and sometimes lose her balance ( ussually when straining to defacate)....she has several lumps (swolen glands) in her neck, minor swelling in legs.

I just don't know, I'm sure everyone does this to themselves, if the diarrhea wasn't there, then it would not be an issue.

I spoke to a neighbour tonight, he put down his dog last august, it was doing the same, he put drop sheets around the house until it could not walk anymore....

let me know what you think
Old 04-09-2008, 12:48 AM
Dad to Jag and Ginger
Paws Guru

I'm sorry your going through this.17 years she has had a good life.
i know it's hard not to be selfish when we don't want to lose a loved one.my thoughts and prayers are with you.
Old 04-09-2008, 11:04 AM
Banned User

I cannot suggest to you if it is time or not, you will know this in your heart. I'm sorry you are going through this, it's the hardest thing we all have to deal with. Try to think of the dog and not yourself. Is the dog enjoying life, is it how you would want to spend your last years here? 17 is a very good age for a dog and sometimes the hardest and kindest thing we can do for our beloved pets is give them a dignified passing. My thoughts are with you during this difficult time.
Old 04-09-2008, 11:19 AM

I think we all know when its time, and you do also, all the reasons you are giving is to convince yourself I think. Only YOU know, dogs do have dignity, its possible she is moving around so much at night because she is in pain...we all have to go through this as hard as it seems we know deep in our hearts its the right thing to do, and it's so nice that we can let them go in peace, if only we had the same option for our human loved ones. My heart goes out to you.
Old 04-10-2008, 12:21 PM
Offical IHP Veterinarian
Paws Pack Member

I am so sorry to hear about Casey. It sounds like she is quite sick to be having such extreme diarrhea issues. Even if there was a way to cure the diarrhea, it sounds like she is not acting like herself if she is wandering off and getting stuck in corners. I think she has several things going on and the diarrhea is just the most obvious problem. I know it is a difficult decision you have to make, but I am sure if you really dig deep down in your heart, you will know what you need to do.
866-4Pet-Health (866-473-8432)
For Better Pet Health
Old 04-11-2008, 12:19 PM
Blackie
The Cat's Meow

Thanks everyone,

well we ended up postponing until Saturday (12th) as I was not happy with coming home from work and rushing to do this, I've already taken a few days off this week. I only randomly picked Thursday anyways...either way last night was rough for her, she was drooling and very lethargic...but this is something she does every so often...she comes out of it, but it's hard to watch...either way I've accepted that it's time, It's going to be hard either way.

Once I get through this, I'll post some "happy" posts, I don't want to just come here just to be depressing.
Old 04-11-2008, 12:59 PM

you aren't "depressing" Blackie, you're "depressed, think of it as a peaceful time, a time you get to set her free from pain. When the time came for my 15 yr old beagle, a very dear friend sent me this poem. It is so so true. *huge huggers* and just remember, we'll all be here for you during this trying time.

IF IT SHOULD BE
If it should be that I grow frail and weak
And pain should keep me from my sleep
Then you must do what must be done
For this last battle can't be won.
You will be sad, I understand
Don't let your grief then stay your hand
For this day, more than all the rest
Your love and friendship stand the test.
We've had so many happy years
What is to come can hold no fears
Would you want me to suffer? So
When the time comes, please let me go.

Take me where my needs they'll tend
Only stay with me until the end
And hold me firm and speak to me
Until my eyes no longer see.
It is a kindness that you do for me
Although my tail its last has waved
From pain and suffering I have been saved
Do not grieve it should be you
Who must decide this thing to do
We've been so close, we two these years
Don't let your heart hold any tears.

~ Author Unknown ~
Old 04-11-2008, 01:41 PM
Dad to Jag and Ginger
Paws Guru

We all know it's a hard time and a hard decision to make.we are here for you at your time of need.

Melinda that is a true peom.
Old 04-11-2008, 02:51 PM
Blackie
The Cat's Meow

Thanks for the Poem Melinda
Old 04-11-2008, 03:22 PM
Crazy Beagle Lady

We don't find you depressing at all, we are here for you through all of this. I can't even imagine what you are dealing with. Hang in there.

Spencer - http://www.dogster.com/?118965
Sydney - http://www.dogster.com/?193443