FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   I Heart Paws - Pet Forums > The Animal House > Ask Our Vet

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Old 04-15-2007, 10:10 PM
Administrator
Paws Goddess

Default Dark soft wart-like growth on dogs skin

Recently (within the past three days) I saw that Maximus had a small scab on his back leg. I figured a branch stuck him, but did examine to make sure it wasn't a tick or anything. When I looked the scab looked like it was peeling off, so I left it. I could've sworn I saw it with no scab there and assumed it fell off, but maybe I'm crazy... I just didn't give it much thought.

Now today it looks like a tiny black growth about the size of a small corn kiblet (is that the right word?). It's soft and squishy and his pink skin looks darker pink/irritated around it.

I'm going to call the vet in the morning for an appointment, do you have any ideas? It's not bothering him, and he's not messing with it- but it's bothering the crap out of me!!

(It's always something, eh?)

He will be yours, faithful and true, till the last beat of his heart....you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
First they came for the Pit Bulls and I did not speak out, because I did not have a Pit Bull.

Then they came for the German Shepherds and I did not speak out, because I did not have a German Shepherd.

Then they came for the Golden Retriever and I did not speak out, because I did not have a Golden Retriever.

Then they came for the Collie... and there was no one left to speak out for my Collies.
"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look and do nothing" ~ Albert Einstein

I Heart Paws - Pet Community & Pet Forums

Please see our Forum Rules & Guidelines along with our Ask Our Vet Rules
Old 04-15-2007, 10:18 PM
Banned User

oh my Angeleyes.......i hope Maximus is ok. I will be keeping my fingers crossed that it is nothing.
Old 04-15-2007, 10:32 PM
Administrator
Paws Goddess

Thanks Bigcat... I feel like it never ends.

Here is a picture of the growth...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Maximus' Leg.JPG (29.2 KB, 53 views)

He will be yours, faithful and true, till the last beat of his heart....you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
First they came for the Pit Bulls and I did not speak out, because I did not have a Pit Bull.

Then they came for the German Shepherds and I did not speak out, because I did not have a German Shepherd.

Then they came for the Golden Retriever and I did not speak out, because I did not have a Golden Retriever.

Then they came for the Collie... and there was no one left to speak out for my Collies.
"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look and do nothing" ~ Albert Einstein

Old 04-15-2007, 11:59 PM
Hound Enthusiast
Paws Top Dog

Poor Maximus! I hope its nothing serious and that your vet can take care of it!

Last edited by Lissa; 04-16-2007 at 12:13 AM.
Old 04-16-2007, 08:41 AM

the poor pet, please let us know what the vet says
Old 04-16-2007, 09:07 AM
Servent to the Goddess
Super Moderator

That does look strange, Let us know what the vet says!!
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the very last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
Old 04-16-2007, 10:13 AM
Paws Top Dog

Oh no poor baby! I wonder if this is another symptom of the allergies he's been having? I hope it clears up soon, let us know what the vet says!

(A philosphy religiously followed by Kayla and Max)
Old 04-16-2007, 12:31 PM
Administrator
Paws Goddess

Okay, the vet was closed today, but the vet tech who has been there for about 30 years answered the phone. He said that he'd open the doors to take a quick look at it.

Maximus is deathly afraid of this tech though (I think his appearance scares Maximus). So I braced myself that I had to make it like no big deal... and we did. When he first opened the door Maximus cowered and barked at him so I put my hand on his mouth and pushed his face to look at me and I said "relax". So I brought him right into the room, and picked him up onto the table saying "Good Boy!" and he shook the WHOLE time, but was okay.

Frankie, the vet tech squeezed the scab (thats what it ended up being) a little and saw that there was something small in the wound like a splinter or something similar. So he took the scab off, squeezed the object out and then put medicine and a soft cast on Maximus. Turns out there was just fluid surrounding the object and that's why it raised like a wart.

Maximus wasn't having the cast though- because he was kicking his leg since it didn't allow him to bend his knee. So we took it off and he put some ointment that dries up over the wound to protect it. So all and all it should be fine

At the end Maximus would normally kiss my vet like crazy "Yay! It's over! I was a good boy!". But with Frankie he went over and sniffed him gently "You're OKAY, but it doesn't mean I like you".

Old 04-16-2007, 12:38 PM
Servent to the Goddess
Super Moderator

Whew!! that is good that it was just a scab. And it was also cute that maximus was a good boy with frankie.
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the very last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
Old 04-16-2007, 12:45 PM
Paws Top Dog

Good news it's nothing serious!

(A philosphy religiously followed by Kayla and Max)