FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   I Heart Paws - Pet Forums > The Animal House > Ask Our Vet

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Old 09-12-2006, 06:24 AM

Default Panting and pacing dog

Hi, I'm new to your site...and am up at 2 a.m. because my 11 year old, female dog has been panting and pacing since 8:30 last night. This is the second time it's happened in two weeks. We did make a gradual dog food change - over this two week period. Could she be allergic to something in the new food? What are other potential problems that may exist? Should I take her to the vet? (She does go regularly). She seems much better if the light is on and I am sitting with her. It's the only time she will actually lie down and stop panting. Of course I'm exhausted too! Help!

cod5
Old 09-12-2006, 06:33 AM
Administrator
Paws Goddess

Welcome to forum cod5, please feel free to introduce yourself in the "Introduce Yourself" forum so we can welcome you properly.

However, I would certainly call your vet and speak to him/her about this. It certainly may warrant a vet visit. Did any of this behavior occur prior to the food change? What food are you changing from & to?

Panting and pacing may be signs of possible pain or discomfort. This can also be signs of cognitive dysfunction (or Dog Alzheimer's), my poodle developed this when she was in her mid teens (about 15/16). She went onto a medication called Anapryl to help her with this.

The others and Dr. Melissa will be along soon with more information soon.

He will be yours, faithful and true, till the last beat of his heart....you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
First they came for the Pit Bulls and I did not speak out, because I did not have a Pit Bull.

Then they came for the German Shepherds and I did not speak out, because I did not have a German Shepherd.

Then they came for the Golden Retriever and I did not speak out, because I did not have a Golden Retriever.

Then they came for the Collie... and there was no one left to speak out for my Collies.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look and do nothing" ~ Albert Einstein

I Heart Paws - Pet Community & Pet Forums

Please see our Forum Rules & Guidelines along with our Ask Our Vet Rules
Old 09-12-2006, 06:42 AM

Thanks for the info. We are changing her to Innova - senior variety - (dry food only, which is what she has always had) - and which she appears to like. She did not have these symptoms prior to the change.

I did read about the cognitive disorder - but she does not have any of the other symptoms listed - other than this one.
Old 09-12-2006, 07:40 AM
Paws Pack Leader

How is her sight.
Old 09-12-2006, 09:38 AM
Offical IHP Veterinarian
Paws Pack Member

I absolutely agree that panting and pacing are often signs of discomfort. I would bring her to your vet. If she hasn't had any senior blood work done in the last few months, I would have them check her enzyme levels. This will check to see how her major systems are functioning. They will also want to listen to her chest and make sure that everything sounds clear with her heart and lungs since she is panting. They may even consider taking an x-ray if they hear or feel anything unusual. I hope it does just turn out to be anxiety, but it is still better to have it checked out early.
866-4Pet-Health (866-473-8432)
For Better Pet Health
Old 09-12-2006, 09:44 AM
Paws Top Dog

My animals only pant when they're hot, nervous, or in pain. Sounds like she's in pain. I hope she's okay! Let us know what the vet says.